Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gimme an A, and another and another!

Summer appears to be on a bit of a hiatus and the last 2 mornings have been a bit darker, soggier, and October-esque as I've driven to the pool instead of the lake. Attendance at the pool remains summer-session-sparse and I'm getting accustomed to having my own lane and tailoring the workout to whatever I dang well please. It isn't a sunrise at the lake, but it's not bad, either.

Unfortunately, I'm less enthusiastic about cycling and I think the weather is going to mean another conversation with myself to attempt to drag myself through a session on my bike trainer later today...ugh. I really need a summer resurgence and am hoping for some vitamin D this weekend...I cannot wrap my head around fall yet!

On the way to the pool this morning, my car seemed to be a bit loud and rumbly. Of course, my first impulse when I think my car is making noise is to turn up the stereo (head-in-the-sand strategy!), but I mostly resisted that urge and tried to figure it out. I coasted, idled higher, listened...WTF? I thought the rumbling was a bunch of stuff I threw in the back yesterday, turned the music back up, and took the stuff out when I got home from swimming. A little later, I was driving down the hill to work when people in various other cars started signalling, pointing at my car, and mouthing, "flat tire!" DUH. CRAP. I'd have thought about that right away on my bike, but hadn't even considered it in my car. I limped my car down the hill and into the parking garage since I had to hightail it to a meeting. After my meeting, I got out all my favorite tools to fix any problem: the phone, pieces of paper, the internet, and a credit card (oh come on, you didn't really think I'd wield a tire iron, do you?)! I read my tire warranty/service agreement (which, of course, conveniently expired about 2,000 miles ago) pulled out my AAA card (also expired) , and googled the number for AAA. Within 30 minutes, the tools had all performed in complete synergy and I had a renewed AAA membership (with an extra $20 fee for the "pre-existing condition" precipitating the renewal, they are not stupid), a changed inflated tire, and a nice interaction with a friendly and uber competent AAA worker dude with speedy and impressive REAL tools! Overall, it was a minimally inconvenient morning compared to how much of a hassle it could have been...I must admit, I love city living and convenience!

No comments: