Saturday, December 23, 2006

HO HO Hot, Humid, High Heartrate!!

Greetings from St. Simons Island, Georgia where Seujan and I are visiting my mom & stepdad...we arrived 2 days ago and have settled in well to being spoiled, eating well, and going to the beach periodically (it's less than a mile away). Yesterday, we did a spin class and lifted weights at the local health club and today was long run day. It's only about 70 degrees out, but it rained a lot last night and the humidity is over 70%...doesn't sound that bad, but our 12 mile run today was pretty painful---at least for me. SJ, at a good 20 bpm lower than me, strolled along easily while I tried to keep up, barely holding a 10 minute mile pace. Seujan said my breathing sounded pretty awful and it FELT pretty awful, especially in the last 2-3 miles. Fortunately, I survived (kept thinking this is probably a good simulation of how much I might not want to run during the Ironman) and we ended our run on the beach where we both hopped in the water up to our waist (regretted I didn't bring the wetsuit) and stood in the water for a while to cool down. THAT part and walking barefoot on the beach was blissful. I have a new heartrate monitor now and I'm afraid it's accurate...12 Mile run, 2:02, Avg. HR = 156. Both the half marathons I did this month were easier than this flat humidity fest run. Tomorrow is a REST day!

No comments: