Saturday, December 09, 2006

Race tomorrow...

We are in Tucson with the marathon (Seujan) and the half marathon (me) in the morning. It's been a hell of a week, but I managed to follow the workout part of my taper plan well (with the exception of one weight training workout that got scrapped). Sleep was reduced and stress was dramatically increased due to the dog...who, unfortunately, we have decided to return to the shelter. The separation anxiety resulted in a destroyed metal crate from which she escaped and trashed the house, multiple prescription drugs (unfortunately, the vet didn't give US any, and they didn't seem to work for the dog), 2 kinds of doggie phermones, a citronella collar, a lot of petsitting/training time, toys, and various other failed strategies...which fortunately, did not include the other residents of our condo kicking us out, but we were afraid we were pushing it. We are sad about taking her back, but it just wasn't the right fit...

Anyway, we have a race tomorrow and have, in the last 2 days, been able to focus on that again. I swam outdoors yesterday and today which I LOVE and am as ready as I can be-- after a week like we had-- for a good run. I'm following the same nutrition plan for tomorrow as I did 2 weeks ago, I will carry my water, and I will enjoy the scenery and sunshine. My race plan isn't as detailed as it was 2 weeks ago, but I think I'll try to follow a similar strategy: go out slow, especially since the first few miles are downhill...then maintain pace in the middle 5-6 miles, and let it go at the end, trying to hit the faster time goal. There is one hill in particular that is supposed to be steep and in the second half of the race, and I know I need to take small steps there and try to conserve the quads a bit...on the flats, I'll try to push it a bit more.

Race reports will be posted in the next day or 2!

No comments: