Saturday, February 03, 2007

Neal's Clue...

So Erik, the PT/guru, told me yesterday that my hip injury is something having to do with my Cluneal Nerve (to which I replied, "Who's Neal and what clue does he need? For chrissake, I want to do a marathon..."). Erik thinks it has to do with overuse...too much running mileage increase in the last few months, with less than stellar running form. Surprise, surprise. Fortunately, he showed me a taping thing that might help a bit and he watched me run and gave me some form feedback/homework. The plan is to reduce the running training volume and run correctly...not totally sure, but I think the Yakima Marathon may have received $60 of my money for nothing. We'll see how it goes. I also had some ultrasound, electrical stim, and was told that my hip abduction strength has basically gone to crap. This was a little odd as I'd tested very strong on hip abduction in October, but very weak yesterday...he thinks this, too, might be some kind of wacky result of overtraining. So I'll be doing 3 sets of abduction EVERY day to get the strength back up to snuff. I'm happy to report that I did it yesterday and today and have no intention of letting it slack. My hamstrings, btw, have improved a lot since October when I was told to work on those... He taped up the hip yesterday and encouraged me to do a short run last night to test the tape AND to work on the form stuff. Thank god, permission to run.

Formwise, I run too much on my toes with too much side-to-side upper body motion, so I have 2 cues to practice: "Choo-choo" with my arms (i.e. hands open, arms chugging forward, less side-to-side motion, and "full foot strike" with my feet...with more heel strike rather than on my toes. For the first time in weeks, I didn't go to Happy Hour on Friday night, but went out to practice and ran around Greenlake. To be honest, I better call it a jog, not a run...I was a total dork trying to work on my form and did the inner loop (2.8 miles) in 29:33....pokey and a little stupid-looking thinking "choo-choo," and "full foot, smaller stride" continually, but at least I got to run! Hip hurt like hell by the end, but recovered OK and the rest of me wanted to run 10 miles since I have run so little lately. I'm also assigned to ice after running and in the evening, and heat in the morning...I currently have an ice pack on my hip.

So...that's the injury report. I swam this morning and then got to watch Craig and Ed from Cycle U train the instructors who will be running our training program for the Tour de Cure this year...very cool and I picked up a few things that might help my personal cycling training, too. Seujan, in the meantime, braved the elements (i.e. crappy rain and cold) to get in her 70 mile ride. By the time I got home, she was showered and warming up on the couch and I wanted to spin...so I got her to move to the back room where she could lay down under the covers while I got on the bike trainer and we watched some Netflix together for 50 minutes...

We're going to a small party tonight at Katie & Ted's...not sure we'll last very long, but we'll make an appearance.

Rest day tomorrow...weights only!

No comments: