Friday, September 21, 2007

Out of the lake and into the keg...

This morning was probably the last Friday lake swim of the year. It wasn't really that cold with my neoprene socks and insulated cap...and there were 2 people out there sans wetsuits...but it seems the group is planning to hang up the wetsuits for '07 and migrate out of the dark and back to the pool. I HATE the end of summer and the end of lake swimming, but I also hate being cold and swimming in the dark, so I guess I can't fight city hall...or you can't fool mother nature...or...insert some other appropriate cliche in this space. The toaster at the Essential Bakery was FINALLY fixed, so we got to end the season with the correct breakfast after the swim.

One redeeming quality of September is the "Fremont Oktoberfest" (which, yes, is obviously held in the wrong month, indicating perhaps that the planners of the event drink as much as the particpants?). We've rallied some fellow beer enthusiasts and my goal is to get to Fremont today in time for the 3 additional Happy Hour tokens available before 6 p.m.

The next event on the horizon is possibly the Half marathon in Leavenworth in October (linked to an Octoberfest actually held in October)...and/or the Seattle Half Marathon on Thanksgiving weekend. My biking is, unfortunately, dropping off almost as rapidly as the daylight lately...but I'm trying to hold on a bit longer and get in some rides. I went out for a ride at lunch one day this week and, on an impromptu whim, did hill repeats at Interlakken...for fun! And it really WAS fun! I'd thought about doing the Black Diamond Olympic Distance race tomorrow, but decided to just let the season go...it was a really good race season and I'd rather not risk going out on a bad (or cold) note. And, honestly, at this point, the beer garden tonight, sleeping in, and going for a leisurely ride with Seujan tomorrow sounds really great!

PROST!

No comments: