Saturday, September 08, 2007

Viva la Junque!

Long live junk miles!!! I had a fabulous 52ish mile bike ride today at a leisurely average pace of 14.5 mph. It was sunny, I felt great, it only took half the day, and I didn't even get pissy when I had to stop at stoplights! Whoo-hoo! I enjoyed the hills (did Juanita each direction) and just had a great time on my bike. I chatted with some women by the bathroom at the park in Kirkland who were interested in my bike and asked how much "one of them" cost...they both seemed incredulous when I told them and I realized again what a subculture I live in being in this triathlon world...my bike is (still) one of the least expensive on the rack when I race, yet it's worth more than my car and way more than the hobbies of many other people, I'm sure. Oh, well...I'm a happy recovering triathlete in a very healthy relationship with my bike and I like my addictions. I mean, I could have bought a lot of crack with the money I spent on my bike (and my shorts, and the wetsuit, and the running shoes, all the tune ups, the travel, the entry fees, the massages, the PT, the swag, and...oh wow, I'd be dead by now), right?)

This week was a nice recovery training week...everything was fun/not hard and I got to swim in the lake twice. Yesterday we swam a bit longer than usual (gotta keep Duncan training for Hawaii) and it was a really nice morning. The water has been warm and calm and we got a sunrise during the swim again yesterday. I'm savoring every last bit of September summer!

In other Ironman recovery news, I somehow managed to pull off a dead toenail yesterday that lost its life during the marathon portion of the Ironman (sidebar: the toenail extraction occured during a 1:1 meeting with my boss...but I don't think he noticed!!)

No comments: