Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Brick with a break and back to the blog...

Sooooo...looks like it's been 5 months since I last blogged.

It appears that, well, it's 2011 and I've signed up for my first race that will put me in the 45-49 age group category. I haven't done a half ironman in well over 2 years and my longest run since I jacked up my knee last February has been a little over 8 miles, but the offer to go to Hawaii in the first week of June was too good to pass up. I'm registered for the Hawaii Half Iron on June 4. My knee and hamstring are both not sure this is a good decision, but my need to deal with seasonal affective disorder and not commit suicide in the Seattle winter has superseded all else. Having this on the calendar should help with the suicide prevention.

My biking is probably --no, certainly--what needs the most help (and enthusiasm). I've been getting back on the trainer about once per week to start getting back on track. This morning I did a 45 minute spin on the trainer (thank god for the Pandora disco station)...then had to go to the eye doc...then got in a short run. I didn't mean for it to be a tempo run, but it was a little faster than usual. I'm calling this workout a brick with a break...I mean, it was in bike/run order, I just had a, um, 3 hour transition that included breakfast, a shower, and a few other things. Hey, it's a start, right?

45 min bike trainer:
Avg HR = 133
Max HR = 150

3.9 mile run
34:58
Avg pace: 8:51
Avg HR= 145
Max HR = 161

1 comment:

Magnetic Bike Trainer said...

Ruth, I'm at the same age level, turning 46 in April. All I have to say is congratulations and keep with it. As for me, because of the cold weather I'm staying in and riding the magnetic bike trainer.