Sunday, January 30, 2011

Slow 'n steady

So the pre-training training is coming along pretty well, I think. I got in over 8 hours of training this week and 2 doubles, although both of those doubles were fairly small in terms of volume (yesterday was a 3600 yard morning swim team workout and a half hour spin on the trainer later in the day). But...I have to admit... both days I did doubles, I felt like they'd been longer workouts. But starting kind of small seems smart since I have 4 months till the race...and also since my cycling is such a weak link and I gotta muster some enthusiasm in that dept. Being "on strike from the bike" is the general mantra from about October to April or May in my world. I know, I know, time for a new mantra or I'm going to be a miserable pup in Hawaii.

Today was my long run...and it was the longest one in several months. I did 9 miles with a few decent hills included, and purposely kept the pace down to about a 10:05 mile. Keeping the slower pace definitely helped me make it without too much trouble. My body and, especially the hamstring/butt is feeling it now, but not too bad. I went out for the run right out of bed--as usual-- and I was about ready to kill for coffee and food by the time I got done. And the day is continuing with the necessity for regular feedings. It's so interesting how just bumping up the long run a little makes me super hungry all day...most people feel that effect from swimming, but I find it with running. By lunchtime today, my stomach alarm was blasting and I wanted salt and fat...NOW. Fortunately, there was some leftover beef stew in the freezer and I didn't eat the entire bag of chips that was calling loudly...not sure I can responsibly control the rumblings for the rest of the day, TBD.

9 mile run
1:31:20
Avg HR = 140

No comments: