Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Broken bike...


On Saturday I decided, despite marginal weather, to ride outdoors...the lack of enthusiasm for the bike trainer outweighed the lack of enthusiasm for the weather. I had a 45 mile ride/35 minute run brick on the schedule and needed to get it done early, so I got on the bike about 8:00a.m. As I went down the street, I heard something bounce off my back spokes...wondered what it was and quickly dismissed the thought (later realized it was probably a tire iron). As I turned onto Lk. Wa. Blvd., my pedals felt funny...I looked down and saw that my spare inner tube had come out of my saddle bag (dumbass me left it unzipped after taking out my multi-tool a week or so ago), slithered down, and was snaked all through the rear cassette. It had pulled/broken the dereiller off, leaving it hanging alongside the bike. Fortunately, I was not thrown from the bike (coulda been a major crash causing situation), and, of course, I stopped immediately to cuss and assess WTF happened. It took a few minutes to take off the back wheel, unravel the tube, and then hike back up the hill home (about .7 mile) with my injured bike. It's seriously pathetic, the dereiller looks like a little broken wing hanging off the chain. I ended up (AGAIN) on the bike trainer for 2 hours and 25 minutes (then did the run outdoors) and on-demanded a movie to kill the time.

Anyway, the dereiller hanger is part of the carbon fiber frame, not simply a little replaceable part. I took the bike to Greggs Cycles on Sunday...had to wait 2 days for the Shop Manager to call Trek yesterday...to find out that this bike frame and its parts are no longer being made. I got a tip to contact Calfee, a company in California that specializes in carbon fiber bike repair...so I sent them photos of the bike's injury. They said IF they had the (nonexistant?) part, they could fix it for about $400...this does not include the hassle of disassembling the bike completely and shipping only the frame to California. So...I'm still problem solving and searching places like eBay for a new frame...and planning to get my old bike road-ready and take it off the trainer.


The human aspect of training is going OK...last week bumped me up to one more bike workout per week (timely, eh?), so I've got 3 swims, 3 bikes, and 3 runs per week...plus 2 short weights workouts. I'm feeling the addition of one more workout per week and have been sleeping a lot and pretty hard. Of course a couple nights ago, I woke up at 2:00 a.m. and had a short freakout about the bike situation...but...it'll all work out somehow and the need for sleep has been slightly greater than the stress of worrying about things, so I've been pretty religious about getting enough sleep.


I've been keeping up the spreadsheet, but haven't blogged about workouts in a while....so....let's just re-cap yesterday's interval/tempo run quickly. It was hard and I was dragging a bit, but got it done...was dang happy that yesterday only had one workout and I got it done early in the a.m. I ran outside this time for speedwork instead of the treadmill...it's finally getting light early enough to see both my watch and the road to do intervals!


5 mile run with 5x 3 minutes/1 minute intervals


1.27 mile warm up

3 minutes hard (.39 miles, avg. pace of 7:45, avg HR = 150)

1 minute recovery

3 minutes hard (.39, avg. HR = 153)

1 minute recovery

3 minutes hard (.38, avg. HR = 153)

1 minute recovery

3 minutes hard (.38, avg. HR = 153)

1 minute recovery

3 minutes hard (.38, avg. HR = 154)


1.47 mile moderate

No comments: