Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My life as a hamster

My hip has been a pain in the...oh, I guess a hip can't be a pain anywhere else. So yeah, the hip. Not cooperating. Verbal when I walk, especially up stairs, and hurts pretty much all the time when I run...and pipes up with sarcastic comments about my age after it sits for a while and gets stiff. I went to a new PT last week who agreed with the coach that the source of my woes is mechanical/form related. So the old dog/new tricks thing is continuing...and I'm still trying to learn how to run efficiently after doing it incorrectly for approximately 35 years. The new PT has recommended working on my glutes and abductors where Cheryl had recommended working the adductors (you say abduct, she says adduct...and I've not done much of either, I must admit).

Anyway, we were in St. Louis for my aunt's memorial service over the weekend and I got in a good long (11.25 miles) run in a nice change of scenery, but it hurt a LOT and I haven't run since. In lieu of running, I've been doing doing the elliptical machine which, Seujan reminded me yesterday, is dangerously similar to a hamster wheel. The good news: it hardly hurts my hip to do it, I can get my HR up, and I've been able to "hamster" out my intervals last week and this morning. The bad news is, of course, that I'm gym-dependent and starved for fresh air, especially since the minimal cycling lately is also indoors. I guess it could be worse. If it were summer, I'd be even more cranky going into the gym... it's not as tough of a sell when it's cold and crappy outside. God bless the ipod. So...the goal remains to make it to/through the Seattle Half a week from Sunday and then back off the running a bit more.

Today's rodent report/workout summary:
20 min warm up
2 x 4 minutes hard, 1:30 rest (up to 160 bpm on intervals)
4 x 2 minutes hard, 1:00 rest (up to 163 bpm on intervals)
5 minutes cool down
Total:
48 min
6ish "miles"

No comments: