Sunday, November 25, 2007

Saved by a race...

It's been a really rough few days and running the Seattle Half Marathon today was probably the easiest thing accomplished since about Tuesday (and that includes eating and sleeping). Fortunately, however, the fact that there WAS a race today saved my relationship bacon. Both Seujan and me trying to go out there alone to run the race made it apparent that a breakup wasn't the best idea afterall...whether we do races together or alternate being support staff, we're simply supposed to be a team. Long story short is that those race fees turned out to be some of the best money ever spent and an investment in mental and emotional health...and all they advertised we'd get for $70 was a T-shirt and a medal.

Anyway, I don't recommend 4 days of crying, not sleeping, and extreme stress as a training strategy for a half marathon PR, but it was effective for a little weight loss and somehow we both finished the race decently. As usual, Seujan was quite a bit faster than I was, but I did OK, it was a really nice day (WAY better than last year's weather), and I actually felt the best in the last 3-4 miles. One highlight: In the I-90 tunnel, I passed a very cute "senior" lady with a sign on her back that said, "This is my 40th Marathon. How many have YOU done?" People were cheering her on and it was really cool...inspirational for sure. My hip hurt throughout the run, but not as much as I'd anticipated. My new PT put some lift thingees in my shoes and perhaps that helped. I'm feeling it tonight, though, and can already tell I'll be a bit sore all over tomorrow...small price to pay for this one, though, and time for some rest.

Half Marathon stats (splits on GPS didn't exactly match the mile signs, but close):

First 2 miles: 18:54
1.04 mile: 10:24
.73: 9:50
1.35: 10:27
1.01: 9:39
1.01: 10:04
1.02: 10:18
1.01: 9:35
1.00: 9:12
1.01: 9:17
1.04: 8:55
1.01: 8:54
.12: :56

Total time: 2:06:30

No comments: