Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I'm a winner!

On the first day of school back in October, some people from Massage Envy came to our school and annouced that there would be a competition for a $500 cash scholarship at the beginning of 3rd quarter. They announced that the criteria would be perfect attendance in the 2nd quarter, a 3.5+ gpa, and an essay...and that they'd be back at the end of the 2nd quarter to give out applications. Of course, when I heard the words, "competition," and "essay," I tuned right in and filed the idea in my head...where I fortunately re-visited it every time I considered ditching class (and there was at least one snowy morning when, I must admit, this little contest was the only thing that made me get myself to class and only about 4 of us showed up...fortunately, they didn't make us document whining about being in class, just the attendance stats were recorded). So anyway, the applications came out at the end of March and I was all over it. I wrote a super boring essay and fortunately asked Seujan and Carie to read it...they both gave me some good editing and some ideas so jazz it up. I took their advice, sent in my applications and...today...I got a $500 check. SWEET! Granted, it's not exactly enough to bankroll a small business, but it's my first "official" income as a massage therapist and I'm feeling pretty good about it (not to mention that I haven't had the opportunity to compete in anything else with my stupid hamstring and ok, I'll admit, I've missed seeing whether I placed in my age group, wearing a bib number, and having some external reinforcement--and, I also just realized that I never won cash in a triathlon...). And...as my mom says, "Money can't buy happiness, but it sure helps." Lucky for me, Seujan was available for a happy hour drink on me at the end of the school day today! Cheers!

3 comments:

C said...

Hey! What about MY drink! Weren't we CO-editors? :-) You so deserve to win, R! I knew you'd do it, no question in my mind. I think your idea of writing about a real person and then the application thereof, is what put you on the map. Congrats again.

Karin said...

Hey! Congratulations! Great job!

ann said...

WHOO HOO for you!!! Awesome.