Tuesday, February 08, 2011

It's best to digest

Got a little slack on the blog again, but have been doing the workouts, at least. Last week was a bit of a trainwreck on other fronts, but that generally fuels good workouts for me...so this part of things is good at the moment. I was even able to run off a potential hangover on Sunday, although I had to have 3 cups of coffee first.

Today was long run day...not the usual long run day, but that's the deal this week. Due to some morning stuff on the schedule, I'd planned a midday run and figured out a double breakfast strategy to prevent a bonk before the run. However, after I ate a pretty good amount at 10:00, my 10:30 client bailed (grrrr), so I decided to try to go out for the run about an hour earlier than planned, at about 11:00. The good news: having what felt like a spare tire around me forced me to run slow. It was, however, pretty uncomfortable for the first 4-5 miles. I'm (I think?) happy to report that no banana bread or yogurt was tossed in Ravenna Park, but I really was not sure whether I was hoping not to barf or hoping TO barf there for a while...I kept trying to create a new mantra but "I'm best as I digest," was about the best I could do---and that obviously sucked--- and before long I had the stupid "Do-re-mi" song from "Sound of Music" in my head ("Fa---a long long way to run" is probably how I landed there in random thought land). Clearly, I need to make up some new mantras...

For the most part, the run felt good and by halfway through, the stomach calmed down and the sun came out. Funny how during one longer run (and yes, I say this knowing that 9.5 miles is a short run for many people I know, but I still consider anything over 6 to be long), the entire day, body, and experience can feel completely different than it did at the start. Glad that this time it was better at the end than at the onset.

Anyway...glad I did it and good to know I can eat an hour before running, even though it's not optimal, and can handle it if I keep things slow. Better than running on too empty a tank and feeling bonky.

9.5 mile run
1:37:26
Avg HR: 134
Max HR: 159

No comments: