Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Sunrise, sunset

I was running along Lake Washington when the sun came up this morning...and I was biking along Lake Washington when the sun set tonight. The fact that there actually WAS both a sunrise and a sunset in Seattle on Groundhog Day is no small thing and was not lost on me. Puxwatawny Phil did not see his shadow this morning, (apparently signalling an early spring with a 39% historical success rate as per the local TV weatherman...whose personal percentage of accuracy was somehow not mentioned in his commentary a few minutes ago, but I digress), but I'm more than happy to report that I could see MY shadow most of today.

This morning I got to sleep in a little and took off for a run around 6:45 a.m., just as it was getting light out...the sky was clear and it was really pretty along the Lake. I added a little out-and-back to my usual 5 mile route when I got to Seward Park, mostly just to get a better view of Mt. Rainier, which was pretty magnificent (Mt. Rainier, magnificent, that's redundant, but couldn't help saying it anyway). I could, unfortunately, feel my knee a bit, especially afterwards, but it was a good run with that good .5 mile hill and really nice to be out first thing on a clear 34 degree morning.

Today was my bi-weekly gig doing corporate massage at Seattle Magazine, so I was fortunately working by big west facing windows and could see the Olympics and the sunny day while doing massage for a few hours. Pretty cool. I was done at 3:00p.m., with enough time to hurry home and get on my bike.

I'd pumped up my tires and set out my gear this morning in the hopes that I wouldn't weenie out due to the cold and ride...a combination of factors (including my new Ironman friends who sent me their training calendar/schedule this morning... and the sunshine) motivated me to get my ass outside. As soon as I pedalled the first few times, I almost heard the old cheesy song, "Reunited," and fell in love with my bike again. I use my old chunky bike indoors on the trainer and I'm pretty sure I haven't ridden my good bike outdoors since...um...October? It felt great! I felt like I was riding strong and fast....which was refuted,of course, by the final stats (14.6 mph average), but I had a nice 23.5 mile ride from home around Mercer Island and back. I was SO happy I went...got home just as it was getting dark. Just enough time now to blog, eat, and go for a massage...sweet.

5.5 mile run
51:44
Avg HR = 139
Max HR = 157
Avg pace: 9:19

23.5 mile bike
1:36:14
Avg HR= 121
Max HR =147
Pace: 14.6 mph

No comments: