Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gotta take a B

My blogging has been lousy again, but I have been doing the training and putting it on the spreadsheet...I often create a narrative in my head during my workouts, but the full story hasn't made it from my head to the keyboard very often...working on it.

This past week was crazy busy and ridiculously cold...I was filling in doing some dog walking for a friend who has a dog walk business and was on vacation, plus dog sitting myself, plus doing several other part time gigs and balancing the workout schedule. Thursday was a bit of a breakthrough workout as I ran 9 miles in the snow at 5:30 a.m. That was definitely one of those workouts that happened only because it was on the training plan, but I was really psyched once I did it...it was quiet and scenic and daylight by the time I got done. I felt pretty good, but was slightly sore on Friday from it. Anyway, due to the number of plates spinning, dogs walking, and temperatures plunging, I was pretty flattened by the end of the week and one trip to the gym for weights got scrapped this week.

Yesterday morning I was up at 5:00 to work at a charity walk in Everett...It was well below freezing and I ended up walking the 1.8 mile route twice while it was snowing. By the time I got done and organized for my brick around noon, I was not exactly brimming with enthusiasm for it. I thought about cycling outdoors (and talked to Seujan about joining forces), but it was just too dang cold and, after being out in it all morning, I just wanted to "on demand" some TV and get on the trainer to get it over with. The workout was supposed to be a 30 mile ride and a 25 minute run, but...I just couldn't pull it together to sit on the bike for 2 full hours. I usually go for "A" delivery of planned workouts...or even push for extra credit...but yesterday I decided that I'd settle for "B" level work and give myself a break. I'm 14 weeks out from the race so I figure there's a little wiggle room in the plan for "life" to affect training here and there. Anyway, I watched 2 episodes of my favorite show, "The Good Wife," on the bike and did the run in the cold...and called it good. Later, I was quite happy to sit myself down in a movie theater for "True Grit" and decompress the week over a beer with a new friend.

Today is scheduled to be a rest day, but I can't get to the Masters' workout tomorrow, so I'm going to swim today and take rest day tomorrow...and get back to the gym for weights.

Brick:

Bike: 1:32
Avg HR: 137
Transition: 1:28
Run: 2.92 miles, 25:45
Avg HR: 147

No comments: