Saturday, June 30, 2007

One coupon, please?

On Thursday, Seujan said if there was a "long run pill," she'd have taken it instead of actually DOING her long run...Well, today, I was wishing for a 2-for-1 bike mileage coupon. My legs thought that half of the assignment felt like plenty, thankyewverymuch.

The pretty color-coded schedule said to bike 100 miles, then run 2, and when I woke up and saw how sunny it was, I was psyched. We discussed routes and possibilities while caffeinating this morning and made the plan: start at logboom park, go over Juanita to Marymoor via the 520 bike trail, around Lake Sammamish, Flying Wheels 50ish route, and back on the trail to Logboom...we also decided that I would bike a little extra at the end so Seujan could do her run before me and she could then babysit the bikes (we can't fit them both in the car and lock them up)...the last 2 times we've done something similar, I've gotten to run first, so I owed her one (well, 2 but who's counting..ok, she was and the jig was up). By the time we got to Marymoor (18 miles), I was already in a bit of a bad mood (too many stoplights that we were hitting on red, too much traffic, just couldn't get in the groove)...my legs were already feeling things by about mile 25, I needed way too many stops, I barely resisted temptation (Seujan reeled me in) to attack a pick-up truck that hogged the road and totally buzz-killed my descent on Ames Lake Road (total ass)...and before halfway, Seujan commented that I was "Cranky McCrankington," and I had to agree. We stopped (again) in Carnation at 50 miles and I got a bit of a boost from my PB&J sandwich...I felt better as the ride went on, but I was pretty dang tired all day.

By the time we were approaching Marymoor, we realized that our mileage math was off and we wouldn't hit 100 at the car...closer to 85. Crap. We both DO have masters' degrees, we just can't count. We had a little conference at Marymoor and my smart girlfriend remembered that last week we did 10 extra miles and had "paid it forward." Brilliant. Works for me-- I'd wanted to be done at the PB&J stop and I appreciated her wonderful observation....plus, I was going to climb Juanita again while she ran and would get a few more miles--and another climb. We cranked it out for the last 12 miles on the trail (thankfully, the wind and the crowd we anticipated were only moderately annoying, not completely infuriating). As I started to climb Juanita, I thought I was kind of hungry, but counted (again, the math theme) the amount of nutrition I'd had over the 6 hours on the bike and realized I'd taken in a good 1,20o calories...so I tried to decide not to be hungry and polished off the end of my perpetuem shake. The beginning of the run was pretty hard, but it got better and I got in the 2 miles. Don't think I'd hydrated as much as I should've. Despite the 1,200 calories banked, I dove headlong into the chips and guacamole when we got home. Then we went out for a great dinner (thank god for paid parking as I was not interested in walking more than absolutely necessary...dude, things hurt). We had a gift card from Yeff for both our birthdays that we hadn't used and we had a fantastic dinner and drinks at Chandler's Crab House. Got home and had an Aleve chaser and am happily immobilized.

Thank god(dess) that there is a race in 8 days and this will be a taper week...got in about 17 hours of training this week and my ass is kicked. I need the back-off week to let the training "catch up." What doesn't kill you...makes you wish it had?

Summary:

Bike:
92 miles (round up! and up!)
5:59:30
Avg HR = 119
Avg speed = 15.3

Run:
2 miles
19:30
Avg HR = 138

No comments: