Saturday, June 23, 2007

Reallocation of resources

Not killing myself on the Thursday's long run allowed me to recover better and kill myself (in the best possible way, of course) today on the bike instead. Definitely some lessons learned this week and I feel like it was a really good training week. Yesterday was a nice lake swim/weights Friday and after a lazy evening watching a movie and sleeping almost 10 hours, I was ready to attack the ride this morning. After a few mechanical issues with Seujan's bike and the Zipp wheels, we drove out to Marymoor to do a 50+ mile ride with one 15-mile and one 10-mile tempo/TT in the middle, followed by a short run for me and a longer one for her.

We started out counter-clockwise from Marymoor around Lake Sammamish to get a good warm up before going up and down East Lake Sammamish about 5 times. Within 2 miles of the start, Seujan had a few more mechanical issues with her fancy Zipp wheels to deal with, so I went on ahead and we each did our own thing.

The 2 time trials were really tough, especially the second one. I ate a whole PowerBar in the first recovery, but my legs were pretty tired. I tried to keep up my cadence (often chose the smaller chainring, esp. in the wind) and visualized my legs as pistons...boom-boom, boom-boom...sometimes it worked, sometimes my legs weren't buying it, but what the hell, it was worth a shot and it was a strong mental image to keep coming back to. Doing the TT stuff on East Lake Samm meant having to slow down for turnarounds, and also meant a decision-making spot on both of them where there is the opportunity to go up a short hill or take a flat detour that's marked "hill bypass." On the second one, the temptation to bypass was greater than the first time, but I figured I should do the damn hill...cause there ain't gonna be no bypass in Canada. Both times I pushed the hill hard and my HR hit 162 which I don't think I've ever done before on the bike. Once on a recovery, I passed Seujan as she was attacking the hill for her second time, too...tough guy points for everyone today, baby!!

The short run was no problem--actually kind of easy after how hard the bike had been- and it was unexpectedly fun because I discovered that Cheryl and her group were in the next parking lot finishing a similar workout, so I got to visit them. I got done just ahead of Seujan and "caught" her bike so she could run one-way to Wilmot Park in Woodinville (7 miles, talk about tough guy points!). While she was running, I went back to chat with Cheryl and Jeff, picked up burritos at Chipotle, and drove to scoop Seujan in Woodinville with food and a big diet coke.

After a bit of recovery, we're off celebrate gay pride weekend at "Hot Flash," a dance party for lesbians over 35...never thought we'd go to an event called "Hot Flash," but I must admit, we went last month and it was way fun. And I do believe I deserve a beer!!

Summary (I had the GPS all day today, so there's LOTS of data!!):

Warm-Up: 18 miles, 1:08:50, Avg pace = 15.6mph, Avg HR = 112
TT: 15 miles, 42:51, Avg pace = 20.9mph, Avg HR = 146
Recovery: About 8 miles, 31:01, Avg pace = 15.2mph, Avg HR = 119
TT: 10 miles, 30:01, Avg pace = 19.9mph, Avg HR = 147
Recovery: About 8 miles, Avg pace = 16.7mph, Avg HR = 127
Total bike = 59.6 miles

Run:
2.15 miles, 20:37, Avg pace = 9:36 per mile, Avg HR=142

No comments: