Thursday, June 07, 2007

Taper schmaper

This is a light/taper week before the Blue Lake Olympic Tri in Oregon on Sunday...tapering is growing on me a little, but not much. Mostly it's just wierd. I'm NOT looking forward to the week before IMC as I think I'll be a complete head case anyway and then not having the regular training volume will likely make me a nuisance to myself and anyone near me (Seujan often points out an obvious fact unenthusiastically, "You process externally..." What a nice euphemism for "Please shut up, you're driving me nuts").

Anyway...I'm looking forward to the race on Sunday and am trying to enjoy the reduced training volume in between annoying self talk ("Am I eating too much? Am I really doing enough this week? Am I doing too much this week? Will I really get the effect of the last few weeks on Sunday? What if I'm sluggish? Should I be getting my bike checked this week or just wait to do it before the next longer race? What do 'normal' people do with this much time on their hands? Is it crazy that doing one short workout per day seems whimpy?").

So yeah, this morning was a good short interval run:

Warm up: 2 miles: 17:51 (Avg. HR = 148)
3 x 400: 1:44, 1:45, 1:47 (Avg HR = 150, up to 162)
1 x 800: 3:38 (Avg. HR = 157, up to 165)
1.5 mile run/cool down: 13:50 (Avg. HR = 143)

Total: 5.6 miles (4.75 of actual running)

Did a half mile or so afterwards of the run/walk thing just to keep practicing it.

No comments: