Saturday, June 02, 2007

Great week wrapped up...

Yesterday morning we opened lake swim season with a GREAT swim at Madison beach...I was looking forward to it all week, and it was really fun. The mountain was out, the water was calm, and it really wasn't that cold with all my accessories (insulated hat, neoprene socks, full wetsuit). I'm SO excited that the weekly Friday swims are now in season...they are my favorite workouts of the week in the summer...and I always look forward to coffee and raisin toast with the team afterwards.

I wrapped up my highest volume training week (about 19 hours!) of the year this morning with a really good brick. I parked at Maltby Park and rode up to Snohomish to do 2x 10-mile TT bike intervals on Lowell-Larimer Rd. This is the perfect road for TT riding because it's flat for 6 miles, there's not much traffic and no stop signs/lights, the pavement is nice, and it's kind of scenic. There was a fairly strong wind down there, but the good news for me was that I went out into the headwind on each TT. The second half of each one was way fun with a tailwind (that was 100% responsible for negative splitting both intervals). It was a tough workout and I felt my legs a bit, but I also felt strong and it was really fun to be in the sun in just a tanktop...I think the sun gave me energy again. Few things make me as happy as a bike ride in the sun, especially with the new bike (we are still in the honeymoon phase and it's looking like this infatuation could last all summer).

The best thing I can say about the run part of the brick is that it was the first voyage for some brand new running shoes. Although Maltby is a great place to stage a bike ride, it totally sucks for running. The roads around there have no shoulder and I ran around the area for 21 minutes dodging big ugly trucks and various other unfriendly vehicles going to/from Hwy 522 and looking for a decent place to run. But it was pretty much over before I could get too cranky about the route...20ish minutes is a slam dunk at this point. Anyway, overall it was a great workout and I drove home with the windows down thinking that I am really digging my training program and am looking forward to my first race of the season next Sunday. I'm sure there will be weeks this summer when I'm totally getting my ass kicked and wondering why I'm doing this...when those happen, my plan is to remember this week because it was pretty damn perfect and I feel great.

Next stop: Mish's massage table at 3:00 p.m....rest day tomorrow and it's supposed to be 82 degrees. Whoo-Hoo!!!

Summary of today:

10 miles warm up ride
10 Mile TT: 28:40, Avg. HR = 148
5 miles recovery
10 mile TT: 29:11, Avg. HR = 147
15 miles moderate ride
Total = 50.5 miles
Avg pace overall = 17.7 (sweet!)

Run:
21 minutes (2.25 miles? Not sure, didn't have GPS)
Avg HR = 145

No comments: