Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Chasing retirees

I am at my mom & stepdad's on St. Simons Island Georgia for the week...got in on Christmas morning and will be here till Sunday. Despite the fact that I declared that I am boycotting the holidays this year as I just didn't have it in me, their tree, a turkey with my mom's amazing stuffing, and my favorite cheesecake (ok, plus presents and booze) mellowed my "bah humbug" a little...not quite to the point of "fa-la-la," but definitely an improvement. I also got in a short run on the beach yesterday before the aforementioned menu hit the table and I loooovvvve the beach here. It's supposed to be 75 degrees by Friday and I think I have landed where I'm supposed to be this week.

My parents are 70-year old German energizer bunnies (from whence I inherited the scheduling and efficency gene) whose mottos are "Getting old is not for sissies" and, my personal favorite, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere!" With these people, a 2 hour morning visit to the gym, followed by lunch, a nice walk on the beach, shopping, then dinner with friends at their favorite restaurant, "Mudcat Charlies" (and this was just today) is not a tough sell...as a matter of fact, I can barely keep up with them...I had to bring snacks on the shopping outing as I was bonking and they were going strong. This turbo parent scene is most excellent for my perpetual motion processing mode...as well as my efforts to balance my affinity for my mom's permanently stocked Christmas cookie plate (YUM). These people will do their best to spoil me rotten and make me sleep many hours per night this week. I am very fortunate to have such great parents.

Oh yeah, my training. Yesterday was a 3.5 mile run + 1 mile walk and my hip felt great on the run, though a little tight today. I am committed to getting out on the beach every day this week to walk and maybe one more run.

Today I got in a 30 minute hamster at the gym (while my mom did the "moving sidewalk" and weights), then both my mom and I hit the outdoor (yup, as in no roof! Whoop!) pool. Unfortunately, the pool temperature is set for "cauldron" and I about wilted, but it was really great to swim outdoors and see blue sky!!

No comments: