Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Windshield or bug?

Lately, I've been choosing a new theme song every day or few...or perhaps it's more accurate to say that songs are chosing me...regardless, a soundtrack for the current chapter of my life is developing. Yesterday at the gym, the ipod shuffled up Mary Chapin Carpenter and "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug..." Perfecto...this one will last a few days, at least. Que up the background music and karoke along if you'd like:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/The-Bug-lyrics-Mary-Chapin-Carpenter/7C9C06B880443FAD48256938000DBC90

The latest hip report is that....tah-dah...I ran on both Saturday and this morning with hardly any hip pain (making me "the Louisville slugger, baby")...but each day I only ran 4 miles and I felt the hip a bit afterwards ("sometimes you're the ball..."). This morning it was dark, pouring rain, and 39 degrees, but I was damn happy to be splashing around Greenlake and actually RUNNING instead of on the hamster machine at the gym. After the run this morning, I had another great PT session. She has me doing some cool balance stuff on the Bosu ball and some plyometrics, too. I came out of there humbled with legs shaking again (the kind of shaking where I would prefer my car didn't have a clutch), but totally psyched to be doing some new training stuff that obviously is a new challenge my body appreciates. Perhaps do-it-yourself Santa will come up with a Bosu Ball and medicine ball...hmmm.

I've dropped about 5-6 pounds in the last few weeks, but this morning I weighed myself and had gained a pound or so back (2 beers and a small mountain of phad thai at the Triple Door last night during the "Nutcracker Burlesque" show probably contributed...). I'd like to keep a few of those pounds from creeping back and maybe when I can run long again, I'll be a little faster.

The S.U. Masters swim team is on holiday break until January 2 (ggrrrr), so I'm winging it and looking for aquatic alternatives...swam alone yesterday at 24-Hr Fitness and managed to do the usual 3,000m, but I really miss the team workouts.

Overall, I'm just wishing I could hit fast forward and land in about...let's say March of 2008...with all manner of things healed and in a new more stable and happy chapter. But...there are a few moments of being the windshield and smashing that damn bug, so I'll take 'em where I can get 'em.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=naXCGpABh9I