Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The little Hoover

Today was my last day of house sitting for Jill & Michele...here's a shot of the little football impersonator, Roxy. She was totally fun to hang out with and is a quirky funny (did I mention spoiled?) creature, for sure.I've always been much more of a big dog person (as in big dogs, not big person although there was my freshman year of college when I gained at least 8 pounds on peanut butter alone, but I digress...), but I now have a new appreciation for little dogs. Roxy is a total food whore (as one of her moms says, I didn't say it first) and I'm starting to call her the little Hoover. She really lives for food like nobody else, even me. She also became a good workout partner...the other day when I was on my bike trainer for over an hour, she chillaxed the entire time in my chair right next to the bike...and at least twice when I've been doing my PT and core exercises, she has literally ridden along. One morning I was lying flat on my stomach on the floor bemoaning the fact that it was time to do planks when she climbed on my back, curled up, and camped out. I rallied and did my planks and she didn't move at all, just stayed on my back...this morning, I was on my back about to do bridges and she climbed on my stomach, curled up, and stayed there for the sets of bridges. On both occasions, it was a nice distraction and I could give myself credit for the extra 3 pounds of resistance...good deal.

Today's housesitting snafus included waking up and discovering that I'd slept all night with the back door unlocked, fighting with the cat (who, I'm sure I mentioned, hates me) at 5:45 a.m.-- and having to wield the hose to get her back indoors, and falling down the stairs this afternoon. My friends have a gorgeous and very immaculate condo...the pretty bamboo floors are clean enough to eat off of, I swear--it's a great place. I made the mistake of putting on some socks and starting to go downstairs while looking to my left at the cat (who, I'm sure was still remembering the hose episode from the morning and set this whole thing up) and next thing I knew, I was halfway down the stairs in a pile with a few things hurting and the F word flying out of my mouth...youch!

The day ended well, however, with a really fun mountain bike ride with Nicole at St. Ed's Park. It was my first kinda-rainy and very-close-to-dark ride, but really fun and Nicole is a total crack-up...she navigated the trails for us, frequently yelling back, "Got 'er, Otter?" to make sure I was OK, and it was really fun. I also managed to get through a turn on the trail that I've never made before and felt pretty good about it...way fun! We may need to get some headlamps before next week as the days keep getting shorter (grr), and she seems to think that I should learn snowboarding this winter...hmmm...

I've also started using the old heart rate monitor this week...I got in 2 good road bike rides and started tracking things again. It's been almost 3 weeks since I've gone for a run, but I'm trying to behave and am religiously resting the dang hamstring and doing my PT exercises every day...it's getting better and I haven't lost hope for doing the Seattle Half in November...we'll see.

No comments: