Sunday, November 30, 2008

Turkey day weekend

5-day weekends are a really really good idea. I'm in the middle of the long Thanksgiving weekend and enjoying the break after the first 2 months of school.

The Seattle Half (and full) marathon is going on right now, but obviously, I'm not running it this year. My hamstring situation is still preventing anything resembling a normal running schedule and I'm continuing the trigger point pain release treatments from the gurus. I'm really hoping to be able to run pain-free again at some point, but am really frustrated in the meantime...I keep losing my patience and running 1-2 times per week, but I'm not sure that's such a great idea. I did the Howe St. stairs yesterday before a guru treatment and my quads are pretty mad at me today...it's been 4 months since Troika and I barely feel like a triathlete anymore.

So enough about running, let's talk about food. Thanksgiving was way fun. Chase went to the east coast this year and I claimed her spot at the table with Heather and went with her to her family's in Montesano. Let's just say that there was SO much food that even after 20 people had dinner, there was hardly a dent made in the food volume and it looked as though dinner had yet to be served. Super yum. Heather's mom, Candy, is a chef and owns the restaurant Savory Faire in Montesano. She also has a really cool BIG kitchen in their house with an island that's a huge cutting board---you can actually chop on it, it's not just for show. Heather and I got to her parents' house fairly early so we could help a little with the cooking...we were hungry already and Candy whipped up a frittata-- basically in her peripheral vision-- for us while all the other things were simultanously in motion the bigger dinner prep...impressive. The wine was opened just before noon and I had a blast using huge restaurant sized bowls and knives (really big ones!) and helping with the cooking (OK, it was more like just having a front row seat to watch the production, but I did do a little work on the stuffing). I'm also proud to report that Candy taught me a new way to cut onions. We went back and forth to the restaurant twice for supplies and it became apparent early in the cooking process that Candy is second only to Julia Childs in the use of butter...we're talking big hunks of it melting all over the place for various dishes. My "Cooking Light" tendencies went out the window and it was a real holiday. We (ok, she) even made a green bean casserole that was totally from scratch, down to the homemade onion straws for the top---no canned soup (it was real sour cream) or anything pre-fab in this one. I had a great time...by the time I got home to the Shoebox it was 9 p.m. and I fell into bed.

The rest of the weekend has been pretty mellow...Seujan and I went to see the kid's first JV basketball game last night and I've done a little studying, a bit of working out, and a lot of relaxing...nice to have some down time before the last few weeks of the quarter and finals coming up...

No comments: