Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bring on the sports massage!

Whoo-hoo, I'm back to school this week! As much as I love having time for leisurely coffee and a lot of the "Today Show," our winter break from school was really just too damn long. Back in class today, it seemed that several of my classmates also wouldn't have minded coming back last week instead of this week...glad it wasn't just me who was getting stir crazy.

I had my first day working in the school clinic yesterday and it jolted the cobwebs out...and today was back into the full classroom days. We have a few different instructors this quarter and our Anatomy teacher is my new favorite. He is a cool uber-knowledgeable naturopath with a lot of interesting experience. I love his energy and think I'll learn a lot from him. Our practical classes this quarter will include sports massage, chair massage, and myofacial release...I suppose it goes without saying that I'm totally psyched about the sports stuff. We already started learning it today and, of course, I'm digging it and looking forward to learning more and practicing on people!

Obviously, school is the good news. The less good news is that my pain in the ass hamstring (perhaps the piriformis?) is still, literally, a pain in the ass. The most painful thing is sitting in the car (I went to Olympia over the weekend to play with Heather & Chase and was pretty miserable in transit). Sitting in class today was not so fun, either. I just spent almost half an hour rolling on my foam roller and tennis ball to try to start breaking things up...thanks to massage school, I have a visual impression of the scar tissue and am trying to implement a little cross fiber therapy on myself. But I think this may be a long healing process. Again. Sigh. I'm able to swim (though flip turns hurt) and am doing a lot of hamster impersonations on the elliptical machine at the gym. I don't love it, but am quite thankful to have SOMETHING I can do to maintain some fitness...I haven't tried the bike, but may try my trainer a little in the next couple of days to see how it feels.

No comments: