Thursday, January 08, 2009

Spoke too soon

As I write this, I am sitting on an ice pack. The Goddess of Chronic Injury apparently frowned upon yesterday's blog post and my (apparently premature) prediction that I was on the comeback trail...that b*&$! swooped in with a "Not so fast, sister" snap of the bad hamstring today.

I had a good swim this morning and then went to the gym a few hours later. I was done with my regular workout and was stretching on the floor...nothing funky, wierd, or unusual, and I swear, I wasn't trying to push it. The second time I stretched my hamstring, I felt it go SNAP-POP...kind of like it rolled itself medially right over the butt bone attachment (same location that's been painful for months). For a brief second, I had this fantasy that maybe the pop was a super self-healing thing that it did to push the last of the pain OUT. Um, no surprise, fantasy was not reality. It didn't start killing me immediately, but gained painful momentum within an hour and worsened through the day. I met Stacey for a while after the gym and, since she had a stash, I threw 2 Aleve at the problem as soon as possible. Later, I walked downtown to meet Michele for a movie...thought maybe some slow downhill movement might be a good idea...I was right that going downhill is better than uphill or flat, but movement in general seems contraindicated. By the time I got to the theater, it was really hurting. We saw "Gran Torino," (I recommend it) while I continually shifted trying to be comfortable. After the movie, I begged Michele for a ride up the hill and thankfully, she obliged, although sitting in a car friggin' hurts, too. Yeah, pretty much anything more than breathing sucks at the moment and I'm pretty bummed.

I'm hoping sleep will help and am headed to bed shortly...

No comments: