Saturday, March 05, 2011

Fate and the forgotten shoes

This was another pretty good training week...ran hills on Tuesday morning which made me sore, but just sore enough to know I did something and to recover before running again on Thursday...that was pretty cool. Receiving a massage on Tuesday afternoon probably helped...had a trade lined up with another LMP that was timed perfectly, whoop!

Today was the usual brick Saturday...I'm dog sitting on the north end of town and went home to do the workout, waffling on the drive home about whether to ride indoors or outdoors. It wasn't raining, but still pretty cool and all the pavement looked wet (translation in my head = if I ride, bike gets dirty, I must clean it...), so I finally decided to ride indoors and run outdoors like I've done the last few Saturdays... and went about setting up the bike and getting everything organized...was almost all set up until it was time to put my shoes on and I remembered that the shoes for the indoor bike were at the dogsit house. OOPS. I figured it was fate making me get outside for a ride...so I re-organized all the gear, the other bike, and the shoes that were in attendance, and went out. After all the gear shuffling, I was really happy I rode outside! I went around Mercer Island and, although the bike did get kinda dirty, it was warm enough that riding was very comfortable. I know it was good for me to deal with some hills and wind instead of....just the remote control and a steady state ride. The workout on the plan was only 25 miles on the bike and a 25 minute run. Sounds easy enough, but "real" riding felt harder than indoor riding and my legs were a little slow on the uptake for the run. The run was really slow and clunky at the beginning...I really thought I was at snail pace, but was pleasantly surprised when I looked at my stats later and I was actually a little faster than a 9 minute mile pace, despite how it felt in my legs.

I felt pretty dragged out for a few hours after the workout and struggled a bit to give a massage...but thankfully, I only had one client and I think the "dragged out" effect may have had to do with recovery nutrition a bit, because the more food (and SALT) I continue to throw at the problem, the better I'm feeling (a can of V8 plus a can of soup in the last hour or so...probably the RDA of sodium for a week, but I'm thinking a salty dinner later may sound pretty good, so I must need it).

Tonight I'm going to see one of my favorite bands at the Triple Door...and tomorrow is a "rest" day which will include snowshoeing with some friends, but I'm hoping it'll be more of a glorified walk in the snow than a real hike. Let the weekend begin!

Brick:
25.85 mile ride
1:42:10
Avg HR: 131/Max 157
Pace: 15.2

1:45ish transition

3.1 mile run
27:43
Avg HR 144/Max 157
Pace: 8:55

No comments: