Saturday, March 12, 2011

Another brick bites the dust

Well, another brick has been checked off the list...which included another somewhat purgatorial ride on the bike trainer. Pretty sure these workouts are harder mentally than physically...

I've moved from one dog sit gig to another and am now shacked up in West Seattle for about 10 days. When Zion, the dog, and I woke up this morning (slept in till 7:30, whoop!), it was pouring. No brainer...went home after breakfast and set up the bike trainer, grabbed the remote control, and had at it.

The workout was supposed to be 35 miles on the bike and a 30 minute run...I think I rounded down a little on the bike (don't know mileage indoors, just time and HR) and threw a little extra credit at the run. Fortunately, I had a few unseen episodes of my favorite show, "The Good Wife," that I on-demanded while on the bike...interspersed with some women's college basketball. 2 hours was about all (my butt and) I could take...stretched it out to 2:05 because the UCLA/Stanford game was almost to halftime, so I stayed on to see the end of the half. I made a quick transition and slopped out into the cold yucky rain for the puddle stomping run...went down to Lake Wa Blvd and out-and-back toward Mt. Baker beach. I have to admit that I added extra time because I knew I'd have to figure out my distance later (was using my Garmin with only HR and no GPS because I'd cycled indoors) and I wanted to run to a landmark that I'd be able to find on geodistance. And yes, I realize this is completely OCD and represents an over-dependence on statistics, but hey...I like my numbers...and now know that I went...about 4.2 miles total) I also figured it wouldn't hurt to run a little more since I biked a little less.

As I was approaching Genesee Park on the way back...and my hands were freezing (thought gloves wouldn't be necessary, wrong-o) and I just wanted to be done and eating a peanut butter sandwich...a funeral procession passed me going the opposite direction. I first hoped that this was not some kind of foreshadowing of my next race...then thought that well, I'm pretty happy to be alive, healthy and fit (albeit slightly uncomfortable and slopping through cold rain wishing for sunshine fairly often these days) and not horizontal in a black car! Could be worse, right?

After I got done, I drank a V8 immediately...then took a shower and had that PBJ soon after, but could really feel the workout catching up with me fast. About an hour later, I was having that old familiar "slow motion" loopy feeling...with the echo-y headache...that means I pushed it and am doing it right. :) I made it to a Starbucks a little while later and some caffeine (god love that drug) wiped out the headache pronto. Glad tomorrow is a rest day...I got in just about 10 hours of training this week and it's time to chill for a day.

Tonight I'm going to a small dinner party/movie night at my friend, Angie's...where I will do my best not to eat the entire pork roast she's going to have in the Crock Pot...better have a(nother) snack first!

Bike/Run Brick:

2:05 bike
134 Avg HR

1:05 Transition

4.2ish mile run
40:00
Avg HR 147

No comments: