Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who wants my autograph?


Well, after almost 45 years on this planet, I can finally say I've reached my career goal of being a professional athlete. A few days ago, Cheryl forwarded an email to me that advertised the need for runners to do some paid research on GPS devices in Seattle. I applied immediately and yesterday, I'm proud to say, I was paid to run 3 miles. My whopping salary was $25 (and the thing was downtown so I spent $7 on parking,one step forward...), but hey, it's the PRINCIPLE of the gig, right? And I'm going to call the free Gatorade my signing bonus! My friend, Kerry, got in on the study today (she made $50, clearly I need an agent!), and we're planning to go out for dinner with our cash sometime soon to toast our new careers!
Anyway, I have to say I wasn't that thrilled to run yesterday as it was a non-running day in my training schedule and they had me run 4 loops of a kind of ridiculous .75 mile loop in downtown Seattle...with lots of stoplights (read: I was jaywalking like a New Yorker despite their "safety first" directions on the waiver), but it was a cool project; they had me wear 2 Nike GPS gadgets and one Garmin (so 2 on one wrist, one on the other), to run 2 loops of the course....then go back indoors, change to 3 more gadgets, and do the same thing again. Interestingly, the Nike gadgets sucked and lost signal in the urban environment....the Garmin performed better. I overheard one of the tester guys who was supervising with his laptop say into his cell, "We have a serious bug..." Anyway, I was thrilled to post the photo above of my earnings to Facebook and I received many comments on my wall!
This morning it was time to do a "real" scheduled workout run...and it wasn't so fun. Today was Interval day and I did the working early on a treadmill at a gym in West Seattle...had to do 5x 2 minutes hard/1 minute recovery. I got it done...but did the last 10 minutes on the elliptical machine. I was bored, feeling the hamstring a little, and mostly I'm just feeling kind of tired this week. I'm trying to schedule some more sleep to recover...anyway, I didn't wear a HR monitor for the workout, but checked and the HR got up to 165 during some of the intervals, so I know I pushed it. I did each of the 2 minutes hard at 8.1mph (7:24 mile pace if the treadmill is accurate) and recovered each minute in between at an easy 5 mph jog, although those little rest minutes went by awfully fast!
Interval Run
15 min warm up (1.5 miles)
5x 2 minutes at 8.1/1 min at 5 mph
Jog at 6mph up to 4 miles
10min elliptical
47:30 total

No comments: