Saturday, March 24, 2007

March Madness

Base training has begun. I was supposed to bike 60 miles today...Although Seujan was brave enough to go out in the pouring down rain, I wimped out and hopped on my trainer at 8:00 a.m. for the morning. The rain wasn't too disappointing as my new bike isn't quite ready yet...long story, but basically, I need different handlebars so the aerobars can be mounted. The fancy carbon ones can't take it...Anyway, in 3 hours on the trainer, I watched an hour of morning news and an entire women's basketball game...thank god for March madness or I'd have had to watch cartoons or god forbid, NASCAR. I took a short break at the 90 minute mark to refill a water bottle, but pedalled a full 3 hours and then did a short 15 minute run around the neighborhood for the first brick of the season. I know it would have taken more than 3 hours to get in 60 miles outdoors, but I had to be at Cycle U at noon for a Tour de Cure clinic, so I had to cut it short...wait, let me re-phrase that...I had a credible excuse to limit the ride to 3 hours. My butt was very thankful when the ride was over...youch. Plus, I'm telling myself that 3 solid hours on the trainer at a sustained HR is really equal to 4 hours on the road since there's no coasting or downhills...and I've almost convinced myself. The run part of the brick actually felt fine and my legs weren't noodles...now, a few hours later, I'm feeling them a bit more.

Tonight we're going to the annual benefit auction and dinner for Passages Northwest. Yea! Food and booze for a good cause! Seujan is on their board so she's recruited a group of our friends to occupy at the event. It should be a lot of fun and a little bit fancy---I may even blowdry my hair for this one...and tomorrow is a rest day...Yea!!

Today's workout:
3:00 bike
15 min run
Avg HR = 132

No comments: