Thursday, May 31, 2007

Long run day...

I really felt Monday's ride for a couple of days...I did a 3 mile run on Tuesday and my legs were really pissed...it was NOT fun. I felt pretty good on the bike again by yesterday and had a nice ride around Mercer Island, but I think it was more because the sunshine made me so happy I didn't pay attention to how heavy my legs still were. Anyway, I wasn't so sure about today's long run. I usually start getting a little anxious a day or 2 before my long run days and I was definitely a little escalated before today's 16 miler. That apprehension may have been a good thing as I calmed down a bit from last week's long run and slowed it down...did the first couple of miles purposefully slow and started the nutrition/hydration right away. That whole "train smarter, not harder" idea has some merit as I actually enjoyed a good bit of this run!! I held to the 9 minutes run/1 minute walk routine the whole time with just a few variations to accomodate a bathroom stop and a couple of water fountains... and am forced to admit that I'm now getting quite fond of those little walks! My hip was barking by the end of the run and is really stiff now, but not any worse than usual. I'll ice it this afternoon...

The weather is absolutely gorgeous and I parked down at Madrona again so I could hop in the lake afterwards. There were several toddlers splashing around down there under the watchful eyes of their moms, but I was the only adult in the water. The water felt great and I'm totally psyched for tomorrow morning's first lake swim!!! I've been looking forward to it all week like a little kid and just can't wait to get out the wetsuit and get in the water. Tomorrow is an easy workout day and I have a reward/recovery massage scheduled for Saturday after my brick, so I'm looking forward to some recovery after a couple of hard training weeks. Life is good!

Summary of the run:

16 miles
2:42:03
Avg HR = 143
Avg pace= 10:08

No comments: