Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bring on the beef...

For the last month, long run days have induced a large appetite for beef...last week, I made steaks for dinner the night after my 15 mile run and tonight we made big mushroom and Swiss burgers...today's long run was 16 miles. I'm a little afraid of what culinary requirements will result from the marathon...

Anyway, this morning Seujan and I made up a great plan whereby she left the car at Leschi and ran home; she dumped me by Jock 'n Jill and I ran from Greenlake down Stone Way, through the arboretum, to Lake Washington Blvd. with a few out-and-backs on my route to equal 16 miles, ending at Starbucks (what could be better on a 27 degree morning?). This was doubly brilliant because I got a lot of downhill with almost no uphill stretches, while she happily ran uphill home, crazy girl. Note to self: it's way more fun to run TO somewhere than an entire long run out and back. I felt great--seems cold weather works for me and running-- and kept wondering if I was dreaming as I kept thinking, "This is fun...wait, it's STILL fun, am I stoned on endorphins? This is wierd, I really like this..." the whole run. I used the Hammer shake stuff again, started fueling by mile 4, and it worked great. This seems to be the new key to success for me. With about a mile to go, I ran into a woman from swim team, Allison, who was out for a 3-hour run and was going at a good clip...we chatted, I picked up my pace to stay with her, and I would've probably gone further if I'd had time; that last mile flew by and I finished feeling strong.

Seujan and I took our little sister to watch a basketball game this afternoon and I had to get home for a shower, so I kept it to 16 miles. Probably good as I'm feeling it tonight...

Anyway, here are the stats:
16 mile run (maybe a little over)
2:36:20
Avg. HR = 139

Rest day tomorrow...weights only! Yea!

No comments: