Saturday, January 20, 2007

Got kiwi?

My better half has decided to do Ironman New Zealand in about 7 weeks (March 4) as a celebration of her 40th birthday...she decided this yesterday (crazy Pisces) and we are already in full swing of travel planning (who knew Kinko's does passport photos? Getting mine renewed pronto). I'm calling this "the shotgun Ironman," but if anyone can pull it off, it's her, and I'm happy to be her Chief of Staff. I am on board with this project as travel coordinator/companion, cheerleader, and assistant money spender. (Sidebar: open water swimming in March and getting in my last few long runs prior to my marathon looking for koalas and kiwi was NOT a tough sell for me!) We practiced today as Seujan purchased a new bike bag for winter bike commuting (aka part of the necessary training regimen). I accompanied and supported the purchase, just as I will cheer her on as she registers for the race to the tune of $500...chump change for a birthday party with at least 500 others in attendance, don't you think? And everyone gets shirts and medals for party favors...what a bargain...who cares if they are 500 people we don't know and who don't know it's SJ's birthday...a party is a party and this is a great deal!

Anyway...Iron Thing herself is out on her bike right now and I'm recovering from today's long run. Today's assignment was 13 miles and I wanted to get it in really early this morning since Ja'Narah had a basketball game at 10:30 in West Seattle. So...without the usual amount of time to caffeinate and eat, I just had about 1/3 of a PowerBar and a small cup of coffee before the run. Probably not a great plan, as I'd guessed. I carried my bottle of magic Hammer shake and used all of it, but my stomach was grumbling with about 5 miles left and I was a bit tired out there. But I got it done, the weather was perfect (37 degrees, some sun, no rain) and now I have the rest of the weekend to relax, read my brand new copy of "Lost Planet: New Zealand," and sit in on Seujan's meeting with our coach tomorrow while they compose her shotgun training plan. The bummer of this training week is I've developed a bit of hip pain, esp. on the right side...it was just a little annoying most of the week and on both sides, but after today's run, the right side really freakin' hurts whenever I move. Going to call for a PT appt. first thing on Monday...till then, laying low and taking Advil.

Today's run:
Route: From Jock'n'Jill, long way around Greenlake outer loop, down Stone Way, around Lake Union, and back around long way of Greenlake inner loop.
13 miles
2:09:00
Avg. HR = 138

No comments: