Thursday, January 18, 2007

Puddle stomping....

Nothing screams, "Let's go to the track to run intervals!" at 6:15 a.m. like 36 degrees, rain, and darkness...sometimes (like when I'm dragging myself out of the bed/car/house/insert other warm dry structure with coffee here) I wonder if maybe stamp collecting might be a worthwhile hobby instead of being a triathlete...Naaah, you can't assign yourself "tough guy" points for mornings like today if you collect stamps. So, yeah...today was an interval run morning. I ran them on the treadmill last week (blech), so I decided this week, I needed to get out on the track. Let's just say the track at lower woodland was about the muddiest goop-fest I've ever attempted to run in...during my first lap (sploosh, squish, smack, step, repeat), I thought, "you know, this probably isn't even safe...I could seriously get hurt..." There were a few places where it was reasonable, but mostly it was just squishy, muddy, and slippery...oh, and dark. However, once I was out there, I wasn't giving up and I got in the whole workout. My times weren't stellar, but they were in the ballpark and the mental exercise of choosing/focusing on the path of least resistance (literally) around the track was a new and different mental challenge...I didn't even notice till the last 400 that it had actually stopped raining. 2 days ago, I ran around Greenlake in the last of the snow/slush which was similar in texture to the mud crap this morning and I'm proud to say that despite a few slips, I stayed upright on both occasions. It doesn't have to be pretty...

Workout summary:
Warm Up: 18:15
1 x 1200: 5:50
2 x 800: 3:46, 3:48
2 x 400: 1:52, 1:53
Cool down: 10:07

No comments: