Thursday, July 05, 2007

Barbeque Blues

Ah, the 4th of July. An excuse for millions of Americans to eat too much, drink too much, blow shit up, litter, and call it National Pride. Unfortunately, I demonstrated some patriotism myself and participated in the first 2 activities on that list. Although I did get in a good 25 mile ride yesterday (at least my only physical activity wasn't Bocce Ball!) and ate healthy for MOST of the day, it all went downhill when we went to a really great barbeque with our new friend, MaryLou, in West Seattle. It was quite a great spread, the fat content of which I hope I never learn (mmm...ribs...mmm...potato salad...mmmm...pasta
salad...mmm...chicken....mmmm...beer....mmm carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese icing...god bless America!), but I felt this morning. I went to bed still too full and I had an interval run to do this morning. Not surprisingly, I felt like I had a spare tire around my tummy. It was NOT the run experience that I wanted to have as my last one before Sunday's race, but it wasn't totally awful and, by the end, I decided to finish beating myself up for my nutritional misbehavior (at least I didn't damage anything else and contribute to the ridiculous amount of blown up fireworks garbage all around Greenlake...gross) and just make better decisions for the next few days. Made a quick trip to the gym after the run to get in my weights and, amazingly enough, I'm starting to think I might be interested in food again before next week!

Interval run summary:

2 mile warm up: 18:20
3 x 400:
1:48
1:46
1:44
1 x 800: 4:43
Highest HR on intervals = 168
1.5 mile cool down: 13:28

Total: 5.75 miles

No comments: