Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bertram's back

Seujan and I did a super uber-long ride/brick today. On the way to Logboom Park to start our ride this morning, "normal" people were spending the beginning of their Saturday in the various Starbucks we passed leisurely reading the paper and having coffee...on our way home, other normal (clean and not salt crusted like us) people were heading out for drinks and dinner with their friends. We, on the other hand, spent the entire day getting butt calluses (went through a LOT of chamois butt'r) and eating sugary synthetic food...then got take-out burritos and collapsed on the floor. We ARE nuts, but I think I'd still rather be us than them (well, most of the time anyway).

Coach said to do 115 miles on the bike today, followed by a 2-mile run. I'm quite proud of myself for designing a route for us that was right on the money: 115.4 miles. We did Logboom to Marymoor, around Lake Sammamish, then up to Snohomish, back through Monroe. It wasn't a ton of climbing, but we got in about 3,000 ft. including the 2ish mile climb up Woodinville-Duvall Rd. which hit at about mile 87.

Seujan hasn't been exactly enthusiastic about training lately and her nutrition on the bike has been, um, I'll just say it, crappy. But today, she ate on the bike like a champ and kicked my butt just like old times. We were really evenly matched on pace all day and it was really fun to ride together. We were both dreading the last 13 miles on the bike trail from Marymoor to the car...it's always windy and just drags on. But today, we were both smelling the barn and she put the hammer down. I followed her, and we finished the end of the ride really strong--I kept being surprised that we were holding a strong pace and not falling apart. The run was OK after the bike...legs were fine, but I got a bad double side ache 13 minutes in...I kept running, but it didn't really go away. I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't drink enough water with the perpetuem I was drinking on the bike...will try to adjust that next week.

On the way home, Seujan said, "Too bad the Ironman isn't a 112 mile bike and a 2-mile run like today..." I agreed, but guessed it'd be called the "Ironbike-pussy run" and neither of us would want a shirt with THAT on it.

4 weeks from tomorrow is Ironman...I only have one super long run and one super long bike ride left...there's a bit more hard training to go, but taper is just 2 weeks away. Holy crap, what the hell am I going to do in September????

Summary:

115.4 mile bike ride
7:15:20
Avg HR = 108
Max HR = 151

2 mile run
0:20:04
Avg HR = 134

No comments: