Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Technical difficulties

I went out to do speed intervals this morning on the bike and had some technical difficulties...First my GPS/HR monitor wasn't working quite right. During my warmup and the first interval, it went back and forth from thinking I was dead and had NO heartrate to thinking I was bleeding out and had a HR in the 180's. Fortunately, neither of those things were true and the numbers started looking more familiar. However, by the time the HR monitor got it together and I started the intervals, it became apparent that my legs didn't have enough in them to push the HR up to 150 where it was supposed to go. I didn't think I was sore from running hills yesterday, but my legs certainly were not recovered and most of the intervals topped out about 143 bpm...I just didn't have it.

Anyway, I was supposed to do 6 x 3 minutes hard with a recovery to 30 bpm less than the ending HR of each 3 minute interval (i.e. push 3 minutes up to 150, recover to 120, repeat). It kind of fell apart between trying to look at my watch and guessing what was happening with my HR and tired legs, but I did either 5 0r 6 of the 3 minute intervals and none of the rests in between were more than 1 minute.

I read an article last night in Triathlete magazine about recovery and just accepted the fact that this morning was a workout done after only partially recovery from the last one...instead of getting frustrated, I decided to just observe/accept it, enjoy the sunny morning by the lake, and use the rest of today to try to recover for the rest of the week. I also got to see Seujan who I thought had gone to work already. She'd made a last minute schedule change to do her intervals this morning, too, and that brightened up the workout.

Summary:

17.6 miles total
1:04:49

6 x 3 minute intervals

No comments: