Thursday, October 23, 2008

school-induced narcolepsy

One of the best things about massage school is getting bodywork several days per week...I swear I didn't think about that little perk when I decided to do this, but it is pretty great. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, our afternoon classes usually include exchanging/practicing on a partner and today I finally found my ideal partner: Jessica, the person who prefers to receive in the first part of class, allowing whoever she's working with (I'll be fighting to be this person henceforth) to finish the day horizontal on a table as the receiver. The bummer, of course, is having to get back off the table after a full day of school and get somewhere quickly or get in a second work out...I've been a little, um, narcoleptic during practice sessions a few times this week...I've always said that they never should have phased out the afternoon nap after kindergarten and I'm happy to have a few of them back as I've been pretty beat these last few weeks. Despite being tired, though, I can say at the end of week 3 that I'm still really digging school and am learning a lot. Our Thursday afternoon teacher is a little "out there" and we love him...today he wanted to show us some tools that were a little "out of the box," and by the end of the afternoon, Jessica and I got to practice standing and kneeling on each other's hamstrings and also standing on the soles of each other's feet (i.e. one person on the table and the other one walking around on the person on the table). It was a good day. Next week I have my first 2 tests...

Squished in before and after school have been the usual workouts...well, usual except for the continued absence of running due to the damn hamstring...but swimming is great, biking has been mostly great, too, and hamstering on the elliptical machine at the gym has allowed me to pretend that I might not completely lose all my running fitness before I can run again...I think I'm going to continue on running hiatus until at least the end of this month...sigh.

The fall is flying by and I can't believe the end of October is in a week---sometimes summer seems like a minute ago and sometimes like years ago. I noticed today when I wrote down the date somewhere that it was my half birthday...after all the changes in the last year, it kinda makes me wonder how various things will look by my real birthday...hm. I damn well better have a functioning hamstring by then.

No comments: