Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tubercles, condyles and fossas, oh my!

The last time I took anatomy and kinesiology was...um...about 22 years ago (yes, more years ago than the age of several of my classmates). I've been forced to admit that I may have forgotten a few things since then. Today in our kines class we had to locate a whole bunch of bones (like almost all of 'em) and boney landmarks. A lot of things sounded familiar, but I needed all the book photos and the help of my group-mates playing with a big skeleton to find it all. Fortunately, we had a few breaks in the middle as my head got a bit full and walking around the block seemed like a really good idea. It was another really good day, though, and the practical sessions yesterday and today were awesome...I even got some nice positive feedback from the instructors this afternoon about my body mechanics. I feel like there's a LOT to learn, but a lot has happened already and I'm looking forward to working on my friends soon. I'm really impressed with our instructors and the way everything is wholistic and integrated...it's really cool and I'm totally digging it. and liking my classmates more and more, too.

I'm hanging with Jenny's dogs and cat till next Tuesday and have been rallying them for kibble and a quick game of fetch-in-the-dark every day at 5:30 a.m. so I can rush off to work out. They are more reliable than the U.S. Postal service in their enthusiasm for fetching (cold, rain, dark...they beg for more) and they could go on and on and on...I play with them twice a day and am starting to fear for my rotator cuff! One of the dogs, Ruby, has been sleeping with me (for some reason I've been spared of them both being in my bed and actually have a little bed space) and I've slept like a rock every night, dreaming a lot of wacky busy stuff...I think it's just my subconscious taking a big burp with all the new stuff happening and settling in to school life. I've been in bed before 9:30 every night, but have craved a bit more sleep and recovery than I've been getting. I keep thinking I'll catch up over the weekend, but then I realize that I have a shitload of stuff going on this weekend, too...

This morning I went home to the Shoebox for a morning spin on the trainer and got in a short hamster session after school. Not so easy to do a late afternoon workout after a busy day, especially after swapping massage practice and feeling much more like a nap than a second workout...I was proud of myself for dragging my butt into the gym!

Tomorrow is Friday...sweet.

No comments: