Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's a nice place to visit...but...

So here are a few reasons why it's GREAT to visit St. Simon's Island, GA for the holiday week...

1. Record high temps of about 80 degrees 2 days after Christmas. I took this attempt at an artsy photo today as I was walking the beach in shorts and a tank top with my feet in the water, wishing I'd packed my wetsuit for a swim:


The format of today was basically this, with a few breaks in between for meals and an errand to care for some friends' dog:

Run/walk on the beach
Nap on the beach
Read on the beach
Walk the beach text messaging with people in Seattle who would really appreciate this scene

2. My mom & stepdad who are way fun beach buddies and who go to the gym and appreciate happy hour as much as I do...my mom and I had a good workout yesterday on weights and in the outdoor pool at the island health club. How many other 40-somethings can brag about their mom like I can?
And now let's just contrast the reasons to visit with the reasons for me NOT to live here...I think this bumper sticker is pretty much 'nuff said:

WTF?
And then there were the 6 dudes (I'm guessing they were also Georgia Bulldawgs) on the beach next to us today, several of whom were literally peeing on the wooden fence in the public parking area at about 4:30 p.m. when they and we (unfortunately timed our exit and) were leaving the beach...

The good news about the "run on the beach" part of today was that I did exactly that...my first run in several weeks. I've still been feeling the stupid hamstring, but have been pretty diligent about stretching lately and decided I couldn't pass up the chance to run on the beach. I stretched, walked a warm up, ran 4 miles, walked, and stretched again...I felt the hamstring during and after, but it wasn't horrific...I'm calling it a success. I really want to have my running self back and healthy in '09...I miss it.

No comments: