Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snow Blast 2008!!

Here's what my neighborhood looked like today!


Yesterday was a classic example of Seattle snow-phobia...schools were closed, the local news was amped, and it was all anticipation with no precipitation. Our school was open, though, and we had a review for today's big kinesiology test (definitely the hardest final of all our classes). After school last night, I knew I should study, but I went to Tatyana's for a walk, dinner, and a do-it-yourself tarot card reading with her new deck of cards. We had a fun walk near Lake Washington looking at Christmas lights, she made some great pasta, and next thing I knew it was after 9 p.m. when I was headed home. I tried to study a little bit and went to bed at 11:00 feeling a bit guilty and under-prepped.

I woke up this morning at 5:40 to THUNDER...huh??? I looked out and thought it was foggy, then switched on the TV and realized it was dumping SNOW. School was closed soon after...the universe had somehow rewarded my lack of studying with at least one more day till the test. Although I was really hoping to get 2 finals done today, I also love a snow day...and definitely needed some study time.

Living on the hill is great for a snow day---I was able to completely enjoy it without getting cabin fever and without having to even consider getting in my car. I lounged around with my coffee, walked downtown to the gym for a nice swim, went to a coffee shop to study, went for a walk with Martha and her pugs, and grocery shopped...as soon as I got home and was thinking about baking some holiday stuff, I got the heads-up from Stacia that some fun girls who also live on the hill were going to Liberty for Happy Hour. Sweet! I put on my snow gear for the 3rd time today and headed out yet again to meet them. They hadn't received the fish order for sushi at Liberty, so April & Becky went across the street and got us a pizza. We also had Andrew, the super cool bartender and owner of Liberty, educate us on several kinds of bourbon when somebody ordered a Maker's Mark. He brought us several samples and told us all about it. I'm not exactly a bourbon drinker, but it was kind of interesting (and throat warming) to try a few mini samples. We heart Andrew! I walked part way home with Stacia who had used her XC skis for transportation, pretty cool.


Throughout the day I saw some crazy car gymnastics, some wackos on bikes (one of whom was wearing ski goggles but no helmet), some kamikaze sledders, and watched a lot of happy dogs having fun in the snow. I also got to practice a little massage on Becky's feet at Happy Hour as they were really cold. And in between it all, I actually reviewed the 30 muscles I need to (hope to!) know when my test actually happens. I also swam a mile in the pool just to see how long it would take and did it in 26:07 with no warm up. I'm calling it a good day!

No comments: