Friday, December 26, 2008

New Christmas carol from the Beatles?


I always find it a bit odd how you can get on a plane in one kind of weather and get off to a completely different world --I love it, but it's a little wierd. I left Seattle late on Christmas Eve after a(nother) day of watching more snow dump on everything and navigating the city with big boots and my trusty 4 wheel drive. I had dinner with my pal, Dave, on Alki and then he shuttled me to the airport where I tossed my hiking boots and heavy socks in the back of his car. DONE with those for a while, thankfully. I put on my flip flops and boarded the redeye flights for the south. On Christmas Day, I got off the plane in Jacksonville to my mom & stepdad (also in flip flops), 75 degrees, and sun. Ahhhhh. As soon as we got home, my mom put the turkey in the oven and I put on shorts and took off in her car for the beach... where I had a long walk and did a little decompression of the last week(s)...more of that to come, for sure. I love my mom's cabrio (see photo above!) and am psyched that it's my ride for the week.

There were a lot of people on the beach flying kites, walking dogs, and playing frisbee. I saw some guys who were playing bocce' ball and "Good Day Sunshine" was playing on their boom box. I decided that song should be filed under "Christmas carols" in my head henceforth. After my walk was the usual great family dinner which included my mom's awesome stuffing and my favorite cheesecake--both of which were made in enough volume to create leftovers for me to keep eating for days...perfect. We watched "Mamma Mia" and then I crashed hard and slept for about 11 hours.

Today is foggy, but it should burn off...I'm pretty resolute on my plan to see/walk the beach every day I'm here and wear socks only when it's absolutely necessary.


1 comment:

Chef said...

I am so happy for you that you are enjoying the sun and the beach. Oh, and we hate you.