Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Westward tomorrow...

A week in cargo shorts and chacos (my uniform of choice) has passed quickly and my latest visit to "spa Bueken," aka the home of my parents, will come to a close tomorrow when I fly back to Seattle. It's been a good, warm week and I've slept and eaten very well as always. I also have had my feet on the beach every day I've been here...so nice. Yesterday we went to the movies and saw "Marley and Me" (I cried as much as when I read the book, yikes) and today we did a short trip over to the neighbor island, Jekyll, for lunch and a little sight-seeing.

In anticipation of sitting on airplanes all day tomorrow (and killing the very last piece of the Christmas cheesecake tonight), I got in a bunch of workouts today. I went for another 4 mile run on the beach (hamstring hurt, but the scenery and stretching a lot before/after helped)...then to the gym for an outdoor swim with my mom after breakfast...then back to the gym in the late afternoon for a spin class. I hadn't taken a spin class yet on this visit and it's always good to do at least one and get in the experience of a southern-influenced ride. Usually, this means a drawling and somewhat cheerleader-ish instructor playing country and christian music with several intermittent "whoo-hoo!" yells, but this time the teacher was a guy named, George, who was probably in his 50s. George had slightly less drawl than most of the health club staff and he was sucking down a venti cup of Starbucks on his bike in between swigs from his water bottle...however, he did kick my butt and the southern influence was still there as the music included one Lynard Skynard song and 2 Willie Nelson cool down songs.

I must admit, I do have a soft spot for visiting the whole southern scene and have found myself saying things like, "yes, ma'am" and "y'all" here and there. I didn't eat any grits this time, but the my mom's cooking has been steallar and the last dinner of the vacation my mom has made (upon my request, god love her) is another big heap of fresh boiled shrimp...YUM.

No comments: