Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's all fun and games...till somebody eats the toothpaste

Meet Otto, the 2-year old French bulldog...


And his pal, Olive...


I am on day 5 of an 11 day dog sitting gig with these 2 innocent-looking pups...and, honestly, most of the time they are pretty dang cool and easy to hang with. However, their humans put them into my care with a few caveats, the main one being that, well, they get into everything if you're not careful... especially if they don't have enough exercise, human time and are left to their own devices (which, obviously, I can relate to). I have been careful to keep gym bags up high, powerbars and edibles stashed, and shoes/clothes on top of the armoir in the room where I'm sleeping. However, I appear to have slipped yesterday...

I'd picked up some groceries and left a new toothbrush and some toothpaste (both of which were still in their wrappers/boxes) on the kitchen table. Oops, my bad. I was in and out during the day, and went out last night to freeload some Showtime at some friends (sidebar, the season finale of "Nurse Jackie" was awesome and the jig is UP...next season will be great). A few times in the afternoon I kept wondering, "Where the hell did I put that toothpaste?" as it wasn't in the bathroom or in the kitchen where I left it...hmmm. I got home about 10:00 last night and let the dogs out for the last time of the day. When I called them in, Otto had a shredded banana peel in his mouth. Nice. Then Olive came trotting in behind him toting this:
I investigated further and found the staging area of the crime in the living room....

So...this morning the 3 of us were at Seward Park by 6:30 a.m. and I ran the toothpaste out of them...boot camp for toothpaste eaters, that's what I'm talkin' about. I was hell bent on making them too tired to misbehave today and it worked...we did basically a tempo run, some of which was at about an 8:30 pace (for me these days, that's pretty fast). By the last half mile, Otto was actually not pulling me and was panting pretty hard. HA!
The dogs have been chillaxing since early this morning (victory for the human!). I didn't have any clients today (well, other than them), so I went for a good long bike ride...did the north end of Lake WA and got in 43 miles...finally in shorts and a short sleeved jersey....sweet! Can't wait for that familiar ugly biker tan and got a start on it, I think. My legs were ready to be done at about mile 30, but I kept throwing food at the problem and finished pretty well. Perfect day for it.

Early run:
3.5ish miles: 30 min (didn't have GPR/HR)
Midday ride:
43.4 miles
2:52
Avg HR: 119
Avg pace: 15.3


























No comments: