Saturday, June 26, 2010

Rock 'n Roll...

I spent the morning unexpectedly on the periphery of the Seattle Rock 'n Roll marathon...

The dogs woke up amped and a little bonkers from the get-go this morning. They were twitchy and ready to blow off some steam at 6:30 a.m. (they did not care that I started the Pride weekend beer-for-dinner regime last night). I wasn't in the mood to have them pull my arms half out of the sockets walking (again), so I drove them down toward Seward Park for a run. Most of the roads to the park were closed...took me a few minutes to figure out that the Rock 'n Roll marathon was this morning and the route goes by the park and along Lake Washington. Luckily, we could weave through the water station set-up that was happening and the loop in the park was pretty deserted. We ran about 4 miles out-and-back in the park and came back out just in time to see the lead pack of the marathoners float by behind the lead motorcycles...always awe-inspiring to see elite runners, I love it. Our little 4-miler adequately flattened Olive and Otto for today, I think...shew.

After breakfast I went for a bike ride around Mercer Island...had to bob and weave a bit to get to the I-90 bridge due to the whole marathon cluster-mess and road closures, but once I got on the bridge, it was fun to ride alongside the mere mortals (those elites from earlier were long gone) who were running down the express lanes on miles 10-11 of their marathon...it was just fine with me to be pedalling, not running. I had a nice loop around the island and on the way back across the bridge, I ran into Seujan who was running the same direction as I was cycling...I slowed down and we chatted across the bridge for a bit before I finished my ride.

I got in about 12 hours of training this week...pretty sure that's the most/best I've done in a week in about 2 years. NICE to be back! Recovered by watching the US tank in the World Cup game (augh, those dudes should take a lesson from the US Women on how to WIN in the World Cup, fo sho)...and am ready for more Pride festivities and a rest day tomorrow!

4 mile run
36:01
Avg HR: 138
Max HR: 155

24.75 mile bike
1:42:30
Avg HR: 117
Max HR: 152

No comments: