Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tempo--oooohhh ride

Today's workout was a tempo ride...just 2x 5 miles, which sounds easy enough, but the legs felt heavy from the time I got up today. I was dragging all morning and not exactly looking forward to the ride. I'd actually thought that maybe I shouldn't do a "hard" ride when my legs were tired from running intervals yesterday and then I realized that oooooh, I bet that was exactly the point. I also remembered that oooooh yeah, biking hard is more difficult to wrap my head around than running or swimming hard. The tougher stuff on the bike is stuff I'd never do without somebody telling me to...so...the piece of paper with the training schedule got me out there to do something other than junk miles.

I warmed up by riding a little in each direction on Lk Wa Blvd to strategize how to do the first TT into the wind so I could go with the wind on the second one. I never figured out which direction the wind was actually blowing, but I'm pretty sure it was a headwind in both directions :)

Of course I was quite happy to have done the ride when it was over...and most of it felt pretty good, but I was definitely limping home the last mile or so. I was also trying to indirectly figure out my AT for cycling and am pretty sure it's between 138-142 bpm.

Tempo Ride:

7.5 mile warm up
5 miles Tempo: 15:15 (Avg speed 19.7)
10 min recovery
5 miles Tempo: 15:37 (Avg. speed 19.2)
20 min recovery

Total: 24.5 miles, 1:28

No comments: