Monday, June 21, 2010

ReEntry...

I have not blogged in at least 6 months, and haven't raced since Troika, almost 2 years ago...after that best-of-my-life race, the injury parade started, everything else in my life flipped, flopped, spun and landed....then rinsed and repeated. But you (the 3 of you who might possibly still check this damn-near dead blog) know all of that.

In the past 2 years, I've continued to subscribe to "Triathlete" magazine, but several issues went unread as I didn't even feel worthy of calling myself a triathlete...and the 8+ months of no-running made it downright painful to see "Runner's World" arrive in the mail. Slowly, but surely, though, with several one-step-forward-and-I-hurt-myself-again stages, I think I'm reentering my tritahlon life.

Last week I gave my 2007 Ironman Finisher T-shirt away to someone important to me who's doing her first tri this summer...I'm hoping it still has a little motivational mojo in it, although it almost seems like another lifetime since I did IMC 3 years ago. I kind of figured it's time to get back out there and get create some new mojo...guess we'll see.

Anyway, my hamstring, knee, and most recently my back, are not at 100%, but I've been jonesing to race and I gotta get my life back. I mean, what's the meaning of life if not to spend time, money,and energy to earn ill-fitting ugly race T-shirts, right? And how else am I supposed to deal with everything else in my life if I don't have a color-coded training schedule to keep me grounded? (sidebar: rhetorical, don't answer that one, I know I'm supposed to learn meditation and yoga, but I'm continuing to resist). So...yesterday I renewed my USAT membership and registered for the Federal Escape Olympic distance Tri on July 31...and today I did my first (kind of kick ass if I say so myself) brick in god knows how long (boring stats to follow, of course). I also re-hired my coach, and while on the bike today, I decided it was time to resurrect this blog. I mean, let's face it, I LOVE Facebook and am happily addicted, but I'm really a little too long-winded for those little updates. Plus, my mom quit Facebook, so I feel somewhat obligated to get this thing up and running again.

So...off I go...reclaiming my triathlete identity, purchasing Aleve, Arnica, and beer with wild abandon (that's a recovery trifecta for 40-something injured athletes if I've ever seen one) and happily scheduled to meet with the coach on Thursday to get that tri-colored training calendar I love so much! Bring it!

Today's Brick:

31 mile bike, south end of the Lake
2:00:30
Avg pace: 15.6mph
Avg HR:121
Max HR: 151

2.3 mile run
20:00
Avg pace: 8:40
Avg HR: 147
Max HR: 158

5 comments:

Swill said...

GET SOME!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back and hooray for your return to triathlons -- and blogging, you're a natural and I'm happy to know I have some good stories and giggles coming up. Tatyana

Amber & Ammon said...

I am now a follower, I have always been a Ruth fan... guess it's the way you look in them jeans!

RAR said...

Awesome news, Ruth! I know you will succeed.

Anonymous said...

yea!!! welcome back! Cheryl