Monday, July 05, 2010

Fireworks shmireworks

Yesterday was a pretty mellow and needed rest day...strangely unstructured, but turned into a great day and a fun evening with a new friend, followed by neighbors' loud stupid fireworks (bah humbug, I know, I get cranky about loud things that happen past my bedtime). Debris rained on the roof and scared the dogs...good times.

Today was a holiday for most people (the people with "real" jobs), but I had 2 workouts and 2 clients, so I was happily busy again after yesterday's chillfest.

Since I'm housesitting on the north end, I started the day with a tempo run at Greenlake...another double loop for mental toughness. The task was 5 miles with 3 miles tempo in the middle. I took splits for each mile as it was a bit of a "field test" to ballpark my AT. By the end of the first hard mile, I had a lousy sideache...pretty sure I just hadn't hydrated well yesterday (story of my life)...fought it the rest of the run, but managed to keep the pace hard. It was not fun while I was doing it, but somehow it got fun in retrospect (isn't that what they say about childbirth? Still not interested in that one, but I kinda get it on a small scale) when I looked at my pace stats...all 3 of the tempo miles were just under 8 minutes. I always think I "should" be running 8 minute miles as that was my usual moderate pace in college when I trained for soccer...I did realize today while thinking about that, that I'm twice the age I was as a senior in college. But I don't care, dammit, 8 minute mile pace should still be my norm and I'm stickin' to it whether I get a sideache and trip on my tongue or not.

I was supposed to have 3 cilents today, but the latest one bailed so I had more time this afternoon to get in a swim. I thought about going to the lake, but the clouds hadn't burned off yet, so I went to the gym... figured it was good to do some speedwork in the pool anyway. The forecast is (finally! Maybe the summer gods are back on the job) really good for the rest of the week, so I figured this will be my only pool swim this week. Nice to go to the gym on a holiday...free street parking and had my own lane in the pool. Sweet!

5 mile run:
1 mile warm up: 9:04, HR 139
3 miles Tempo:
7:57, HR = 163
7:59, HR = 162
7:56, HR = 168
.1 mile walk
1 mile moderate 8:47, HR = 158

2700 yard swim
42 minutes

No comments: