Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Just say no to extra credit

So Monday was a recovery day from the race...although it was only an 80 minute outing and I wasn't sore, I felt pretty body tired. I did weights, but that was it on Monday.

Yesterday was not a double, but I went for some extra credit and made it into one and questioned that decision later. I had a bike ride to do and wanted to save it till the afternoon when I'd have more sun and more time than I did in the a.m. But... I wanted to get moving again after the rest day, so I went for an easy 3 mile run when I got up. It felt OK, not great...However, when I got on the bike in the afternoon, my legs had a few things to say. First they said, "Aw hell no" when I started out for an hour-ish ride that included 2x 5 miles tempo...they slowly got a little less cranky, but "light and fast" are not words I'd use to describe my lower appendages so far this week.

I started out thinking it'd be a good idea to do the 2x 5 mile pieces over on Mercer Island. When I was almost over the bridge, not only were my legs questioning this decision, but my BRAND NEW front tire was slowly saying, "pppssshhhhh...." Now these are the tires that I got last week for the race...the ones that, after much discussion with the bike racer, I voted for because even if they aren't the most light fast tires, they are unlikely to puncture. And again, I learn there are no guarantees in life. Seriously, this was less than 20 miles into the lifespan of the tire...I got to the Mercer Island side of the bridge and texted the bike racer: fuck Continental, got a flat. However, it was sunny, I wasn't in a hurry, and it was after the race, so I realized pretty soon that it wasn't really that awful (especially since my legs thought sitting in the grass and not pedalling was much more fun than the alternative). I also didn't have any trouble getting the tire back on the rim, so later I was kind of thankful that it happened as I now feel closer to the Continentals afterall. After fixing the flat, I decided that just in case, I'd go back over the bridge and do the speedwork on Lk Wa Blvd, business as usual. The first 5 mile piece felt really really slow...felt like my legs couldn't push hard enough to give me much cardio...It was pretty much just a slog and a mental exercise to do it. As usual, I threw food at the problem and 1/4 of a Powerbar after the first one helped the second. Despite feeling sluggish, my speed on both pieces was in the speed range it usually is...interesting. The last few miles home I just spun it out and enjoyed the sunny afternoon along the lake.

Today was a sunrise swim with my swim pal, Robin, again...this, too, had that same "this is a lot of work" feeling, though I think we were pretty close to regular pace. The water was a little more roll-ey than usual and I was glad to be done working out for the day before 7 a.m.

Tuesday:
Morning, 3 mile run: 28:33, Avg HR = 140

Afternoon, 24 mile ride (1:30)

34 min warm up, 8.5 miles
5 mile tempo: 15:15 (avg speed 19.7mph), Avg HR = 145
6 min recovery
5 mile tempo: 15:12 (avg. 19.8mph), Avg HR = 144
4.3 mile recovery

No comments: