Saturday, September 23, 2006

FALL-in' in....

I went to the doctor yesterday for a check-up and we were both lamenting the end of the summer...I was griping about spin class vs. being outdoors and she said something to the effect of, "yeah, exercise indoors...I'd rather slit my wrists..." Someone understands me! She told me of her someday travel fantasy--to take a year and literally follow the summer around the globe...she'd be heading towards Australia about now... I am fortunate to have a doctor with such brilliance and inspriational vision. What a damn fine idea...chasing the sun around the world.

All of that being said, these first 2 days of fall have actually been far from painful. Yesterday morning I got in a lake swim with Tatyana (insulated cap and neoprene socks rock) and last night Seujan and I went to Oktoberfest in Fremont with some friends (and several hundred other beer afficianados). Oktoberfest is great...you get plastic tokens which are redeemed for (many, very many) tastes of beer in a mini mug. Thus, 2 valuable illusions are achieved: (1) you don't think you are spending actual money since it's plastic and (2) you don't think you're drinking nearly as much as you are since the mug looks like a shot glass. We more than sufficiently carbo-loaded and cash un-loaded and it was a blast.

Well fueled from Oktoberfest (forgot to mention the German sausage and pretzel that went with the beers) last night, Seujan and I did the Flying Wheels/Tour de Cure 70 mile route today. It was a gorgeous day...63-73 degrees over the day and nice, sunny, blue sky. We passed lots of flower fields, pumpkin patches, and a few trees starting to show some autumn color. Great day on the bike! Seujan got a flat, but we were only a mile from the finish, so I biked to the car and came back to scoop her...it'll be much nicer for her to change the flat in the living room than on the side of the road!

Ended the day by going out to dinner and went to the movies for the first time in months. We've been out-and-about past 9 p.m. three (count 'em 1-2-3) times in the last week...look out, we're behaving like NORMAL people! Post/off season is great.

No comments: