Sunday, October 15, 2006

R & R

Rain & Relaxation. As much as I prefer 80 degrees and sunny, rainy days make it easier to chill and re-charge the batteries. Clouds yesterday and rain today have made for some welcomed down time in our little household. Yesterday I was still feeling beat up from last week, so I took a mostly-rest day and only lifted weights...other than that, I didn't really do a damn thing but a a couple loads of laundry (with a nap in between!) and last night we went for a drink and to the Gay & Lesbian film festival. Seujan did an 18 mile run yesterday, so her rest day was today. Today was my long run, but a scaled back version this week of 9 miles. I hopped out of bed first thing this morning and drove down to Gasworks to run around Lake Union just as daylight was approaching...it was lightly raining, but it was great running weather and both the rain and the run were just fine with me--no inclination for whining at all this time! Plus, Seujan was cleaning the house like a tornado and I had a way more fun morning activity and got to come home to shower in a very shiny bathroom. When I got back to Gasworks, it was totally light and the trees looked like they are on fire...great fall color. I was able to procrastinate one more week on dealing with the during-run hydration/nutrition strategy as I didn't need anything for just a 90 minute run. I know, I know...I went into Jock 'N Jill yesterday to whine about the fuel belt situation and rather than coaching me to spend more money on another useless accessory, the nice guy (who did sell me $90 shoes, of course) recommended that I go with the "hide bottles on your running route" strategy. If it works for him, it might work for me and I think I'll give it a go next week.

Long run stuff: I had a really good, relaxed run...around Lake Union with an up-and-back added to get a little hill work: up Eastlake, past the little homeless colony, left over the freeway, to the base of the Howe St. stairs, then reversed back down (more homeless folks awake and shuffling around on the second pass-by) for the rest of the Lake Union loop. Kept my HR below 140 on the flats and the hills were pretty comfortable, too. I did the "last mile, fast mile" and pushed it up to about 158, hit the last mile at just about an 8 minute pace. I was almost disappointed that this week wasn't another week of adding more distance since I felt really good, but I understand the strategy and next week will continue the progression with a hop up to 12 miles.

9 miles, 1:30:27

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't start hiding bottles! First it will be you're running route, then under the seat of your car or in your desk drawer at work. Seek help now and nip this in the bud!

Besides, what if someone sees you hiding them (they really aren't hidden then) and they do something to them... like lick them and just put them back?